Enneagram and Politics – Type 9s and Peaceful Politics?
In a post-pandemic world, we find ourselves changing perspectives and directions to suit the status quo. Communities will look to each other for help and guidance and families and friends will soon realise the need to understand each other better in order for all of us to thrive together.
What do all of us have as a common ground? We require peace to allow growth and implementation of ideas. Today, we will discover why Type 9s are dubbed “The Peacemaker”. Do peace and politics even match?
Understanding Type 9’s Essence
A Type 9’s worldview is: “I must preserve the peace.” Peace, defined, is free from disturbance. Type 9 finds it very important to not only bring about peace, but to maintain it as well. Already, two items would readily pop up in your mind: systems and structures. With those two items in place, activities will continue like clockwork.
Type 9 is located on the crown of the Enneagram circle, and for good reason too. 9s are accepting, stable and trusting. They are willing to go along with others just to avoid conflict. This attitude makes them natural tension-diffusers and are great at finding a consensus that is workable for everyone. Type 9s are essentially the human equivalent of chill pills. However, this could also lead to not taking a firmer stance on certain issues.
At their best, Type 9s are all-embracing and masters the ability to bring people together and cure conflicts. Is this what we all need in every corner of the political arena?
Type 9 Strengths:
- The glue that holds the group together. Given their optimistic and supportive nature, they are able to insert themselves into each of the Enneagram Types’ shoes and understand their point of view. Having high levels of empathy allows them to work easily behind the scenes in order to keep the group harmony flowing.
- Good with following (and creating) structure and systems. The need to maintain harmony can be so great, Type 9s are experts in producing methodologies that focuses on routines and schedules which are easy to follow. This results in routines that everyone can follow and ensures planning and execution are done without any issues.
- Excellent communicators. They are skilled mediators. They have a highly capable of seeing things from everyone’s perspectives. Their counselling methods are profound be it in a business or social setting. Generally, they are serene creatures and very good-natured, allowing for others to air their concerns and be themselves.
- Makes effort to neutralise tension. They easily see different sides of a single issue. Their tolerance for conflict is low and this makes them experts at quickly finding ways to work things out. Their solutions, more often than not, will cater to the needs of all parties involved; leaving everyone happy and comforted.
Type 9 Weaknesses
- May lack sense of urgency. Type 9’s ability to ignore disturbing aspects of life is often done through numbing themselves. Because of this tendency and the desire to not allow conflict to rise, they appear to be very comfortable where they are and become blind to urgency. Due to this, they unconsciously block progress, even positive ones, because they do not want anything to affect the current stability they are already experiencing.
- May create a false sense of harmony. Type 9s withdraw very quickly when conflicts arise. Maintaining harmony at any price (even if it is only an illusion) is a strong desire. They believe they are able to glide through tough situations by tuning out certain uncomfortable aspects. This is so they can maintain the short-term peace; possibly at unhealthy levels, they find it hard to come up with long-term sustainable solutions to fix the root of the problem.
- Stubborn in their inactivity. As Type 9s seek to maintain order and peace, they can minimise problems just to appease others. Entering a passive-aggressive mode could also be a defense mechanism that they adopt readily. That feeling of resignation is too strong and they can act as if nothing could be done to make things better. They would even go as far as purposeful procrastination and go into a state of unresponsiveness when things get too difficult.
- May lack personal conviction. Type 9s are at odds with themselves. While it brings them joy to agree with others, this is only scratching the surface. The happiness they are experiencing is not genuine because they may have their own internal ideas of how things should be but they lack the personal conviction to uphold their beliefs and impose them on others. They may find it hard to have a strong sense of personal identity (because this might be an inconvenience to others and could cause conflicts); which is why it is much easier for them to adopt the views of others.
What are the gifts a Type 9 politician bring to the table?
No other Types devote their efforts to seek peace and harmony quite like Type 9s. They are optimistic and can adopt and showcase a simple and healthy lifestyle. With the right setting, they can develop a keen sense of ambition through understand the many different viewpoints of those around them. They take the necessary steps using their calm energy to bring about improvement in the lives of others.
We all can learn to communicate better by observing Type 9s and their interactions with a host of differing people and backgrounds. These days, it gets a little bit difficult to listen in a sea of noise while maintaining your own opinions. Type 9s have the great capability and capacity to understand where people are coming from and why do they have such views.
In a world of people trying to stand out, a Type 9 could teach us a thing or two about stepping back and seeing the silver linings of life. In a world where people are trying to stand out and shine, they remind us teamwork and inclusion are equally, if not more, important. Type 9s are great guides on how to assemble a team made up of diversified backgrounds and still manage to achieve common ground in a harmonious fashion.
Examples of Type 9 Leaders
Of course, these leaders have never done our Enneagram Tests but they’re believed to be Type 9s by many Enneagram teachers based on their beliefs, values, traits, and actions through historical and interview records.
(From left to right: Abraham Lincoln, Queen Elizabeth II, Kofi Annan)
Interestingly, the images above all share one thing in common: they are all smiling (or a hint of a smile). The universal language of peace could easily be represented by a smile when you do not rely on verbal cues. As potential politicians, it is welcomed to be optimistic with the future, reassuring energy that the current situation can only get better, and supportive in everyone’s effort to make the country a better place to live in.
Tomorrow, the exploration of other Enneagram Types and politics will continue, leading up to Singapore’s General Election of 2020.
Curious about your Enneagram type? Here’s a quick overview of the 9 Types. I know reading through these descriptions can be confusing. So save yourself from second-guessing and figure out your type with the help of our online test.