Enneagram and Politics – Type 6
With businesses pivoting their strategies during the lockdown to stay afloat and employment facing uncertain fates, there are a lot of things at stake. However, challenges arise with opportunities. It is how we react in adverse times that showcases how well-prepared we are to continue on with our lives.
Today, we will place ourselves in the shoes of Type 6s and get to know them better.
Understanding Type 6’s Essence
A Type 6’s worldview is: “I must find stability.” Regardless of how the status quo of the world is, they seek to be prepared and ready to embrace the worst-case scenarios. They are a vigilant group and threats are identified quickly and soon, a Type 6 mind will spring into action and calculating next-steps in order to not lose their sense of security.
Being security-oriented does have its drawbacks as their thoughts are sprinkled with self-doubt and suspicions and requires a key council of friends/trusted people to feel reassured.
At their best, Type 6s are internally stable and self-sustaining, courageously championing themselves alongside others.
Type 6 Strengths:
- Great strategic thinkers. Because they trust their closest allies, they keep their skepticism on high and targets this towards new experiences and uncertain horizons. Always scanning for danger, be it physical or not, this propels them to think of back-up plans to ensure smooth sailing.
- Attentive to people and problems. Amazing “troubleshooters”, they foresee problems and they will think of how else a scenario could potentially go wrong. Because of this train of thought, they are able to think ahead and propose solutions just in case. They do genuinely care for people with the operative word: care. Being careful people, Type 6s also seek to warn others of possible dangers and keeping them safe.
- Loyal to the cause. Aptly named “The Loyalist”, Type 6 are great at maintaining status quo. They are most loyal to the people closest to them and to their beliefs. Typically, they would fight for their beliefs more fiercely than they will fight for themselves. This would be an ideal situation if a Type 6 would consider going into politics!
- Blends easily into social circles. They have strong identification with belonging to a social group. Being dedicated and responsible makes them find their fit in the world. Couple this with a sense of security and sense of connectedness, this drives Type 6s and they are ready to stand strong by the people in their lives who have earned a spot in their hearts.
Type 6 Weaknesses
- Trust issues. Type 6s build a network that bases itself on trust over a background of uncertainty and fear. At unhealthy levels, they can be extremely suspicious and paranoid of their surroundings.
- Constant illusion of danger. They worry a lot. They have a tendency to have an over-developed sense of fear resulting in anxiety. As with solving problems, Type 6s mentally prepare for the worst-case scenario and may end up over-analysing all forms of communication. This fuels their worry and creates a vicious cycle.
- May be too slow and conservative. Type 6s are aware of their anxieties and makes effort to construct a security blanket against all odds. In short, overthinking is something that comes easy to them. This may take time and to the untrained eye, this behaviour is perceived as reaction too slow or being too conservative when taking action.
- Non-resolution of own emotional insecurities. While Type 6s care much about those around them, more often than not, they forget to think about themselves. Being selfless has its drawbacks because they will use their time to help others but none remains for themselves. They have trouble getting in touch with their own inner-guidance; creating self-doubt and affect their confidence
What are the gifts a Type 6 politician bring to the table?
Being a champion of the people, the citizens can put their faith into a Type 6 leader and be assured the outcomes of their endeavours will be beneficial for the community. Perhaps new policies and regulations may also be worth introducing as Type 6s would have thought ahead about the possible outcomes. This ensures longevity while maintaining a sense of security for as long as anyone can comfortable with.
Since loyalty is a strong element in a Type 6’s existence, the structures and systems they are in control of will only provide security under their governance. They are people who will stick with you through thick and thin and are determined to protect you from the threats of the world. Does the recent pandemic require such a leader in times of crisis? Some food for thought.
Examples of Type 6 Leaders
Of course, these leaders have never done our Enneagram Tests but they’re believed to be Type 6s by many Enneagram teachers based on their beliefs, values, traits, and actions through historical and interview records.
(From left to right: George Bush, Cao Cao, Richard Nixon.)
The leaders above showcase a rather comforting sense of calm energy. You would look to them when you have issues to resolve and you easily develop a sense of trust when confiding in them.
Do we need this in a world that is on a road to recovery?
We will continue to explore one more Enneagram Type and what they can bring into the political scene.
Curious about your Enneagram type? Here’s a quick overview of the 9 Types. I know reading through these descriptions can be confusing. So save yourself from second-guessing and figure out your type with the help of our online test.